Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What now?

Hi all…  Just a quick note before I turn the lights off…

Met with the Transplant Oncologist today and since my stem cells would not mobilize we have ruled out an Autologous (my own cells) stem cell transplant.  She did give me four options in this order:

1)       RIT (Radioimmunotherapy) – This is an antibody combined with a radioisotope.  I really don't know much about it or how it works, but am sure I will be well educated in the near future.

2)      Long term Rituxin – I've had this chemo before and I tolerate it well, but it would mean staying on it for a long period of time.

3)      Do nothing.  Go back to wait and watch.

4)      Alogeneic Transplant – This is a stem cell transplant, but using stem cells from a sibling or an unrelated donor. 

Had a PET Scan last Friday and it came back completely clear of cancer.  The options above are recommendations from the Transplant Oncologist and I will now go back to my original Oncologist for direction/confirmation on which option to take, or explore any additional options.  Both teams agree that with the Lymphoma in remission, it is best to hit it hard now to try for a long term or possibly a complete remission.   I remember Dr. Brown telling me that every relapse is harder to treat, so the plan is to find a way to keep this at bay.

Catheter that they put into my neck/chest on Tuesday, Oct 8th is coming out tomorrow, Oct 24th.  Short lived little bugger has been a true pain in the neck.  I still have the Power Port on the other side of my neck/chest and with not doing a transplant, there is little need for both.  Had a rough couple of weeks with the side effects from the drugs used to stimulate/mobilize the stem cells, but I'm beginning to feel myself again.  I agree that we want to get a long remission just not sure where the path will lead me.  I know you are all extending your arms to help me on that path and I thank you.

Good night for now; will write more when we have a plan of action or more information on the options.   I will leave you on a positive note…  I have the fuzziest head of soft hair, about ½ inch already! Unfortunately, it is still growing back gray in color…  bummer…  J

Love and hugs to all,

Mugsy

Blog access:  http://updatefrommugsy.blogspot.com/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment