Saturday, October 5, 2013

Transplant #3

Well, the time has come….  Everything started this morning, bright and early; 34 degrees at 6:45am when we left the house for a 7:30am appointment.  Brr…
All the tests are done and I passed both the medical and psychological testing.  Yeah!!!  Attended the Patient/Caregiver class and it was very informative.  Signed all the paperwork and pre-registered so our appointment this morning was easy.  Just a Neupogen shot and some questions.  The nurse watched me for 30 minutes or so, but everything was un-eventful which we expected since I've taken Neupogen before.  These shots are to stimulate the bone marrow to step up their production of stem cells.  When I had the shots before they were giving me a 300mcg dosage, but today and the next three days will all be 600mcg.  Hopefully they will get the stem cell count high enough so I don't have to do an additional shot of "Mozobi" on Tuesday.  From what I hear that shot works quickly and does a number on your system since you quickly run to the bathroom with diarrhea.  Sounds like fun…  NOT!
Next procedure will be Tuesday.  After finalizing the Neupogen shots they will insert the catheter into my left jugular vein.  They are leaving the power port on my right so I do expect matching scars…  The catheter comes out after the transplant is done, but the power port will remain another four to six months just in case.  Stem cell collection is Wed/Thur October 9th and 10th and they freeze all the stem cells until they are needed on my new birthday, October 21st.  That weekend, if all goes as planned and I'm feeling okay we hope to make a quick trip to the cabin to get it set up for winter.   Just a nice drive to the mountains sounds great!
I'll keep you all posted.  Thanks for all the encouragement and positive thoughts.
Love and hugs,
Mugsy

No comments:

Post a Comment