Pain in the Neck & Chemo!
Dear Family and Friends,
Last Monday, Oct 22nd I had the port inserted and everything went perfect. Loved the doctor who did the procedure, one of six kids and two of them doctors; he even has a sister named Margaret Mary! We talked the whole time so they really had me on a low dose of anesthesia; it was mostly done with a local. When I titled this note as "Pain in the Neck", that's also what I got with the Port. The main part of the port was inserted under the skin and looks like the shape of a little pup tent. Then off the pup tent runs a catheter into a vein, but it looks like the campers in the pup tent ran an extension cord up my neck right along the clavicle. Must be some lazy campers!!! Anyway, at first the port was uncomfortable just because of the minor surgery and stitches, but then around the third day it started itching and itching and it was really a pain in the neck. Right now all is well and they used the port today to draw blood and give me my second round of chemo. I like my port, it is Rockies purple (but you can't see that now!) and it's a "Power Port" (has multiple functions) so I'm going to call it "P3" for the Purple Power Port!
Chemo today went really easy, not at all like the first one. Having the port made drawing blood sooooo easy. It was done in no time and no IV needles. Once the port was connected for the blood draw, it was good to go for the chemo and they left everything installed for the rest of the chemo tomorrow. I had to wait a bit after the blood draw to see my Oncologist and it was a great visit. Blood work came back perfect; I'm really lucky. ALL the nodes have reduced, some to the point of not even being large enough to find/feel! Great news and both the doctor and I were smiling. I tried to talk him out of more chemo, but that didn't work at all…. He did say we will do all six, but… And that but is that between the 3rd and 4th round of chemo (mid December) we will do a CT Scan to see how things look and then readdress. The final goal is get me back to where I was on the "Wait and Watch" with this flare up into remission. Thank you all for having a hand in this. I have no doubt and I know for a fact that your thoughts and prayers are with me and working.
Spent just under seven hours today at Kaiser, drawing blood, waiting for results, visiting with the Doctor and then the chemo. Had NO side effects with the chemo this time and it went quickly, took only 3 ½ hours. Tomorrow I go back for an hour which is easy and quick. They will remove the thingy that attaches to the port and I will be free, with no sticks, no bruises and able to shower. Such little things and such nice pleasures to look forward to.
And regarding the "stent" from my kidney to the bladder. Oncologist is in agreement to taking it out. He must have communicated with the Neurologist and I heard from him already. Just need to schedule things which will entail an X-ray to verify the position of it and then take it out. Yeah… Will call tomorrow to set the schedule.
Oncologist said today was a great day to get a flu shot. "Nurse Helga" showed up with a needle. I tried to talk her into using the port access but no way. Flu shots have to go into the fatty part of your muscle and it really wasn't bad at all.
No nausea anymore but they still want me to take the anti-nausea medications just in case. I'm eating well and gaining weight, up to 125 pounds already. I get tired but I feel like my old self, no young self! He, he, he…
Getting late and I'm going to bed. God bless you all,
Mugsy
No comments:
Post a Comment