Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Checking in!

Dear Family and Friends,

 

It has been over a week since I was sprung from the hospital.  Arrived home on Monday, April 29th and we've begun learning a new dance with cancer.  Some things I've learned:

-          I can faint!  Never ever did it before and plan on never ever doing it again.  Low blood pressure and a cold body in a warm shower are NOT a good mixture.

-          Different types of chemo do different things to your body.  This one is a nasty SOB!

-          My body can appear to be possessed and have a mind of its own, but I'm still in charge.

-          Oncology nurses and doctors have the gentlest demeanor and help in so many, many ways.

-          Phone calls, cards, emails and instant messages come at the best times when you need an "up"!

-          Mouth sores from chemo are the worst.  Hard to eat, talk, sleep…..

-          Katie gives the most gentle belly shots.  All 7 of them and she never missed a beat.

-          Peace and solace can be found in the gentle brown eyes of our dog Gracie.

-          Blood counts can totally tank (be really bad) but your body continues on and does the best on any given day!

 

The list could go on and on, but just wanted to check in and let you know things are getting better each and every day.  Still have my hair, but also have some very soft head scarf's from my sisters just in case.   I really, really miss working for the Rockies; it's not the same watching the ballgame on TV.  More than the job, I miss my team, my boss, and my friends who are such a caring group.  I don't like being isolated, but understand the necessity of avoiding germs when you have no immune system.  And thank goodness for people like Katie who keep me going and keep all the medications straight and on schedule. 

 

Next week and half should be great!  Then the week of May 20th we do another five days of the same chemo (R-EPOCH) as an outpatient.  I understand they send you home with a backpack that has a pump that moves the stuff in over a 24 hour period.  Now ain't that just grand!

 

Love and hugs and my thanks to all,

Mugsy

 

P.S.  For the online blog and some hospital photos…  http://updatefrommugsy.blogspot.com/

 



No comments:

Post a Comment