Dear Family and Friends,
Had a two hour discussion with the transplant doctor from CBCI (Colorado Blood Cancer Institute) this morning and both Katie and I were amazed! They have the stem cell transplant process set up as a fine tuned machine and all the departments really work together well. I still need a lot of tests to finalize before I'm accepted, but they have started the process. Yes, it would be an Autologous (my own stem cells) transplant and they would do it as an out-patient, no long hospital stay!!! That really blew us away… They have found that with the autologous transplants, their patients do much better when they have things to do at home. Get up, get showered and dressed and make their way into the transplant center (Located next to Presbyterian St. Luke's Hospital in Denver). Plus our bodies are already used to the germs that exist in our own homes as compared to what you find at a hospital! Lots of tests in the next couple of weeks and I will hear on or around Sept 27th (Friday) if I'm accepted. I will definitely keep you posted on what happens next.
I'm doing fine. Have some minor negatives… Had to shave my legs and pluck some chin hairs this morning!!! It's all starting to grow back… On the positive, I have about ¼ inch of fuzz on my head and it seems to grow noticeably longer on a daily basis. Time does march on and the body is remarkable the way it can go through all of this and come back strong. Also have to gain some weight. The doctor would like me to put on 5 to 10 pounds since going through a transplant always includes a weight loss. So, we went to Olive Garden for a late lunch and I ate three breadsticks, and pasta, and, and, and… Yum!
God bless you all and thank you.
Mugsy
P.S. If you prefer to read the blog, it is at: http://updatefrommugsy.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment