Dear Family and Friends,
Yesterday, Friday June 21st I finished my third round of R-EPOCH. Yucky, yucky, yucky stuff.
Let me back up a bit. Last Monday I visited with my Oncologist and we went over the PET Scan results which were all good. Everything has shrunk and I learned that in a PET Scan they can detect activity and how active the cancer is. On the April 9th scan I had an activity level of 28 but the June 12th scan had an activity level of just 2. Great news, the cancer is not active so the chemo is working. Not sure if we are going to do all six sessions of this chemo; the fourth one is already scheduled (July 15 – 19) and we will do another PET Scan after that one to make a decision going forward. Doctor has not ruled out a stem cell transplant but I'm not too keen on it so we will wait to make a decision after the next Pet Scan.
One BIG modification to the chemo this time. We cut the steroids (Prednisone) in half from 200mg a day to just 100mg. Oh my, what a difference; I was able to sleep better and I didn't feel like a bitchy witch flying around on my broom eating everything in sight! Also learned how to shower with little "Joey" the fanny pack with the chemo so I really was a lot more comfy this time. The Neupogen shots (10 of them) start tomorrow and these are the ones that help boost my white blood cells and Neutrophils but they also give me some pretty nasty bone pain in my chest, hips, and jaw. We have medications to help with that and also some mouthwash to help with mouth sores if they appear this time. I had them really bad on the 1st chemo, but none on the 2nd chemo. No rhyme or reason as to why they come or don't. I have learned to stay away from citrus, tomatoes, vinegar and spicy stuff for the week of and after chemo, hopefully that will keep them away again.
We asked for and received permission to take a week off just to play!!! Yeah!!! Dr. Brown was totally in favor and thought taking one extra week between chemo would be good to let my body heal. So…. If my blood work agrees and the red and white cells are up, we plan on heading to the cabin around July 5th and staying through July 13th. Whoopee!!!! Haven't been to the cabin since Christmas, so will be good to get up there and check on things and just relax. I feel an Adirondack chain on the deck calling my name!
Thank you all for your prayers and kind words and cards. I'm really humbled by the outpouring of care and concern from all of you. God bless you all and I keep you in my prayers daily.
Love and hugs,
Mugsy
P.S. Blog can be found at http://updatefrommugsy.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment